Monday, August 13, 2007

Color and B/W Commissions


Sweet Sixteen, (ink and acrylic on illustration board, 12X16). I'll always remember this caricature because I drew her with red hair and when I got to the event I found she had brown hair. Good photo reference is SO important.

Bike Riders, (ink and acrylic on illustration board, 11X14). This guy commissioned this piece for his girlfriend to commemorate their bike rides through Taroko National Park in Japan. I think this caricature was a small piece of the total "Will you marry me?" puzzle, and I only hope, for his sake, that I didn't screw it up for him.

Thomason 50th Anniversary, (ink on illustration board, 18X24). Since this couple grew up in the Dust Bowl era in West Texas, I decided to go with the Grant Wood American Gothic theme on the basis that they might be familiar with it. The family wanted to include all 49 kids, grandkids and great-grandkids in the picture. I solved that compositional nightmare by putting their heads in the big 50.

Ashley and Blake..., (ink and acrylic on illustration board, 16X20). These two were apparently huge University of Georgia fans and probably alums, and they wanted to show that in their wedding caricature. The bulldog is the school mascot, and the arch is a popular landmark on campus.

Yearbook Staff, (ink on paper, 11X17). This was a high school yearbook staff who wanted to have a group caricature drawn to put in their yearbook instead of a photo. From left are: The Artist, The Navy Recruit, Wonder Woman, The Cheerleader, The Ringleader, Romeo and Juliet, The World Traveller, and The Opera Diva.

1 Comments:

Blogger jvanderhooversnodgrassmidgefieldIII said...

I like the "Wonder Women" best...though the husband/wife portrait where the wife is really cheesin' it also ranks right up there!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home