Monday, August 13, 2007

Wedding Couple on Beach, (ink,acrylic on illustration board, 16X20). These two were awesome clients and I think this might be the most beautiful illustration I've done. They wanted to look like super heroes so I had to change the way I normally approach the drawing and make it less cartoony and more comic bookish. I was really happy with the poses and the landscape. The sunset is airbrushed, of course, but the water is done completely with Prismacolor markers. I even got his Florida Gators Championship ring.
Sad Dog, (ink on illustration board, 6X6). This is just a quick little b/w drawing that was used by the client as an invitation to a holiday party. They wanted their dog on it, so I obliged. When I actually showed up to draw at the party, I was most interested in meeting the dog, who curled up under my table and stayed there the whole time. I guess he liked the drawing.
Handyman, (ink, acrylic on illustration board, 11X17). This was another gift commission. What do you get the man who has it all? A caricature, of course.
Fearless Leader, ( ink on illustration board, 16X20). This was commissioned by PriceWaterhouseCoopers for a retiree gift. They suggested the theme and I ran with it. I used a combination of warm greys and french greys, and was quite happy with the way the sky turned out. I knew that if he was going to be in The Collosseum I had to include a lion or tiger, and I figured that Hobbes fit the bill. Apologies to Bill Watterson.
Four Shrinks, (ink on paper, 11X14). Sometimes there are projects that never happen. And this is one of them. This idea was commissioned by a local TV station ad department for their clients, a group of California-based radio call-in psychologists a la Frazier who wanted a humorous image for billboards, T-shirts, etc.. This was the concept sketch I submitted. Each psychologist liked how the other three were drawn, but none of them liked themselves. I wonder what Jung would have said about that! Anyway, the project was tabled and ultimately scrapped. One of their comments I found amusing was that the big guy didn't want to be seen as being overweight, as his area of expertise was helping people with eating disorders.

1 Comments:

Blogger jvanderhooversnodgrassmidgefieldIII said...

I think I like the tiger in the gladiator portrait best of all...Sort of an ancient Roman Hobbes...

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home