Monday, August 13, 2007

Rapper with Pole, (ink, acrylic, colored pencil,on illustration board, 6X6). This illustration was commissioned as a CD cover for this guy, who raps in Atlanta. The space in the upper right was left so he could drop in his title. I asked him to send me a CD when it came out, but I guess he forgot.
Re/Max Retiree, (graphite on paper, 11X17). I did this retiree caricature while sitting at my kiosk in an area mall during the Christmas season one year. I had to squeeze it in between walk-up customers, so the whole thing took me all day. Sometimes you don't get to pick the optimum setting or time to do projects. You just do them when you can, under the circumstances given, and hope everything comes out right in the end.
Sapelo Station, (ink on illustration board, 11X17). This was my first serious experimentation with using markers for an illustration. Some things worked, and some things didn't. I firmly believe you have to keep experimenting and bumping yourself out of your comfort zone if you want to stay relevant. Otherwise, no matter how much money you make you're just wasting your time. I like this drawing because I can see where it led me later.
SAT 1, (ink, acrylic on illustration board, 16X20). This was commissioned by Southern Accessories Today, a high end furnishing company located high above downtown Atlanta. They were giving this as a gift to their boss on the night of their open house. They also had me draw at the event, which was a blast because they had an eclectic blend of entertainment including female impersonators. I even got to meet the Dolly Lama.
Six Sisters, (ink on illustration board, 11X14). These really are six sisters. The one in the bonnet commissioned the work as a gift to her siblings. Her only stipulation was that she wanted them all to be dressed in some type of period-garb. I remembered all the reference I had compiled for my previous Charles Dickens project, so I recycled the dresses. I figured these ladies didn't need to know that there were other women out there in illustration land wearing the same dresses.

1 Comments:

Blogger jvanderhooversnodgrassmidgefieldIII said...

Probably the most variety of any of your posts to date... Wonderful display of range!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home